Please note that the taught section of the program runs from September to May.
By the end of the program, students will have acquired the key competencies to manage fashion, design and luxury companies successfully and will be able to evolve professionally within the cosmopolitan, culture-intensive and hypercompetitive environment typical of these industries.
Why choose to do the MSc in Fashion, Design and Luxury Management?
The MSc in Fashion, Design and Luxury Management is designed to provide international companies in these industries with the profiles they need to be highly competitive in a complex environment. The fashion, design and luxury industries are design-intensive and innovation-oriented industries, providing very good opportunities for growth in a hypercompetitive environment. For this reason, companies in these industries are seeking to recruit experts aware of the specific dynamics of these fields, able to manage companies and develop brands in a successful way.
- Accelerate your career by gaining the business and managerial skills required for the fashion, design and luxury industries
- Develop a deep understanding of the dynamics of the innovation-oriented fashion and design industries and the ability to manage companies and develop brands in a successful way.
- Benefit from teaching staff with extensive scientific and professional industry experience.
- Enjoy study trips with exclusive behind the scene visits to companies and industry-specific fairs and events.
- Gain real-life experience through a Live Business Case.
- Prepare for working in international contexts with a multicultural and creative learning environment.
- Earn a degree from a triple-accredited institution.
A Word from the Program Director
This Master's program provides students with a unique exposure to the world of fashion, design and luxury brands. It is a perfect combination of lectures and activities with professors and professionals encompassing the latest challenges faced by this industry such as sustainability or digitalization. It's also combined with very practical insights during a study trip to a major fashion capital. Thanks to GEM's widespread business network and dedicated careers service you will be able to connect with major players in this industry. 93% of our students find a job within 6 months of their graduation. If creativity, innovation and culture define you, come and join us!
Students enrolled in the MSc Fashion, Design and Luxury Management will benefit from a high-level faculty with both academic and professional experience. Taught entirely in English, this program offers students the international perspective and the industry-specific culture they will need in order to become skilled managers in these hypercompetitive industries. Through their coursework, students will acquire the management tools and techniques and the overall industry culture needed to develop and govern fashion, design and luxury brands in a highly competitive global and complex environment. The course covers essential management skills as well as more industry-specific competencies.
The MSc in Fashion, Design and Luxury Management will be offered at the GEM Grenoble, Paris campuses.
Year 1 - Campus Year
Introduction Session - Management Essentials
- Branding and Brand Equity Management
- Strategic Management
- Corporate Finance
- Intercultural Management
- Talent Management
- International Trade
- Research Techniques and Final Management Project Workshop
Fashion, Design and Luxury Management
- Fundamentals of Fashion and Design
- The Legal Context of the Design and Fashion Industry
- Principles of Luxury and Managing Luxury Brands
- Integrated Communications Strategy (Corporate Communications and PR)
- Production, Operations, Purchasing and Supply Chain in the Fashion Industry
- Customer Management and Customer Intelligence
- Technology and Innovation in the Fashion and Design Business
- Industrial Design
- Retail Management
- Sustainable Luxury and Design
- Specialized Field Research Project
- Digital Marketing in Fashion, Design and Luxury Industries
- Luxury Sectorial Analysis, for example:
- Food, Wine and Hospitality
- Boats, Cars and Motorbikes
- Jewelry and Watches
- Perfumes and Eyewear
- Accessories and Leather Goods
- Project Proposal
- Research Methods for Managers
- Language (optional)
*The content of the program may be adapted from year to year to take into account the needs of industry. Class attendance is compulsory.
Year 2 - Final Management Project
At the end of the one-academic-year full-time part of the program, each student will be required to complete a Final Management Project of approximately 15,000 words in length, under the guidance of a tutor. This is an applied or theoretical research project that can be completed at a distance and in parallel with full-time employment or an approved internship. To successfully complete the Final Management Project, students are required to address a particular research question or knowledge gap in their chosen field of their study. This will be business oriented and coherent with the program's objectives. A student may choose to write their project on a topic grounded in their internship experience.
Live Business Case
Students from the 2019-2020 Intake will have the exclusive opportunity to complete a Live Business Case with two exciting partners: Snipes Group & Nike. In this interactive module, students apply their knowledge and gain real experience while learning the essentials parts of the street and sports’ fashion industry.
Specialized Field Research Project / Study Trip
Students will take part in a study trip of one week in one European Fashion Capital. They will have the opportunity to meet with leading industry professionals and visit companies in the fashion, design and luxury industries. During the company visits students will work on a project relating to one of these industries and in alignment with their future career ambitions.
The program is taught in English but provides the possibility to learn a foreign language at the same time. No prior knowledge of French is required to attend the program. Learning a foreign language is a recommended (but not compulsory) program option for all students who are looking to work internationally. Non-French speakers have the option of studying French (beginner to advanced level), while French speakers may choose from a number of other languages at the beginner level.
Personal and Professional Development Workshops
In addition to the core courses, students can attend personal and professional development workshops, including psychometric testing. These workshops cover current topics of interest, recent trends in management, research and career development. They serve as a complement to the core modules and strengthen employability profiles of graduates.
Students are encouraged to undertake an internship of a minimum of three months in a company of their choice at the end of the taught part of the program. It is expected that the internship will contribute to the content of the Final Management Project. The internship may take place anywhere in the world.
Classes are taught by GEM faculty, visiting professors from top universities worldwide, and top business professionals. Most of the permanent faculty is engaged in applied research. Their teaching links theory to practice through authentic business cases. Their diverse cultural and international background gives a strong international dimension to the program.
View all Faculty
Employment within 4 months: 86%
Jobs with international projects: 91%
Average salary with bonus after graduation: <40 k€ 85% | >40k€ 15%
*Based on 2018 graduates
It is expected that graduates of this MSc program will either take up positions in multinational companies in the fashion, design and luxury industries or will become entrepreneurs able to found and develop their own companies.
The program will prepare graduates for positions in sourcing, purchasing, product development, product management, public relations, events, store retail management, people management and entrepreneurship.
Carlson Rezidor Group of Hotels
Crowne Plaza Dubai
Ferragamo Fashion Trading
Le Labo UK Limited
Le Meurice, Paris
Paul & Joe
The Ritz Carlton
Now working at Christian Dior Couture in Marketing, I realize that the MSc Fashion, Design and Luxury Management program contributed to my career success in many different aspects.
From a theoretical approach, the program develops core management skills in the fields of fashion, design and luxury which equipped me with a competitive outlook, highly employable skills and flexible career options.
From a practical side, collaborating with leading industry professionals and visiting companies in the luxury, fashion and design sectors, allows us to enhance our taste and creativity in these areas and gives us a real insight into the luxury world.
Finally, the program opens the door to fulfilling internships opportunities throughout the world. I was first selected as a Retail Trainee in Dior through on-campus recruitment. The MSC FDLM program offers invaluable resources and privileged connections with leading brands in the luxury field.
While I write these words, I am just finishing the Paris Haute Couture Show works and celebrating my 2nd Anniversary working in a luxury fashion house. I love my job and this career satisfaction comes from having achieved my career goals through the MSc FDLM program.
Candidates should have excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills and the motivation to pursue an international career.
No prior knowledge of the fashion, design and luxury management industries is required, but applicants should demonstrate a strong interest in this area and have a clear idea of how the program will help them achieve career goals.
- Bachelor-level undergraduate degree in any subject with good grade average.
- Work experience is not compulsory.
- Fluency in English (see test requirements below).
To apply for this program, candidates must complete the online application and include scanned copies of all original supporting documents. All documents must be in English or be submitted with a certified translation into English if written in another language.
- Official copy of latest degree or diploma or certificate of enrollment with an approximate graduation date
- University transcripts: front/back with grading scale
- 3 short essays (relating to your academic/professional experience, your reasons for choosing this program and your intercultural awareness)
- 2 references (professional and/or academic). Family members or friends are not acceptable as referees
- Scan of passport
- Internationally recognized passport picture
- Fluency in English (TOEFL, PTE, IELTS or CPE):
- TOEFL: Computer-based: 240 / Internet-based (IBT): 94 (minimum score of 22 in Reading and Speaking; minimum score of 21 in Listening and Writing). TOEFL Institution code: 8973
- IELTS Academic: 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in all areas (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking)
- Cambridge Proficiency Exam (CPE): A,B,C
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE-A): 63 (minimum score of 59 in each section)
- Not accepted: TOEIC, Institutional/ITP TOEFL, Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) and Cambridge English: First (FCE)
Please note English test scores must be communicated to GEM/GGSB by the beginning of July for September programs.
Please note that for your initial application we ask only for copies of documents. If you are accepted, we will then request to send digital certified copies that you will be asked to present during the induction week. More details about certified copies per nationality are explained on the application form.
To ensure GEM is the right fit for you, you may be asked to participate in an interview. You will be notified if an interview is necessary after the Admission Board meets.
Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. Please consult our rolling admissions deadlines.
Student Program Fees
Grenoble and Paris campuses: 23,450 Euros for 2 years*
*Fees are subject to change. Please verify program fees each year before commencement.
Program fees include:
- Tuition, project supervision, and access to GEM facilities
- Travel and accommodation (twin rooms) for the Study Trip. Please note that students are responsible for the payment of a visa if necessary.
Program fees do not cover accommodation, meals, insurance, visa, and personal expenses.
Students are required to pay an additional 250€ in student services and administrative fees in Year 1 and a further 250€ for student card renewal in Year 2.
Please read the policy concerning the refund of tuition fees.
Financial Aid / Scholarships
All academic qualifications, including those earned at GEM, are recognized at the discretion of each country or university. Students seeking admission to a further course of study or who wish to work in specific country after their GEM program may need to have their GEM degree certified through a process specified by the receiving authority.
Visa requirements may apply to International Students in order to study or work in France. All international students are expected to verify requirements with their local French consulate and plan accordingly. Grenoble Ecole de Management has no influence over this process.
For more information, please download the relevant student guide.